Sorry, This class is now full. Get in touch if you want to be on the waiting list for this date
This exciting day course explores the skills and techniques of kiln enameling led by Eleanor Watson. We will be exploring the exciting process of fusing finely powdered glass onto the surface of copper. These beautiful techniques were used by the ancient Chinese, Greeks, Celts and Egyptians to decorate metal and add colour to metal jewellery.
If you love working with colour you will enjoy this enameling workshop; the combinations are limitless and the results swift and exciting to see as they emerge from the kiln. We will experiment with a range of simple decorative techniques to create your very own one-off pieces to make into unique jewellery.
On this day course you will learn to:
- Prepare copper for enameling
- Make several sample pieces using a range of techniques
- Explore the use of opaque and transparent enamels
- Use decorative inclusions (e.g. frit, glass threads, millefiore and silver leaf)
- Cover health and safety and the kiln firing process
- Explore colour, and surface designs with stencils, printing and drawing
- Design a final piece to finish and mount on jewellery findings by the end of the day
A supply of silver-plated jewellery findings will be available on which to mount your sample pieces and information will be provided on suppliers of enameling equipment and jewellery findings should you decide you want to do more!
Plenty of tea and coffee and biscuits will also be provided, enameling is thirsty work!
There is a limit of 7 people per workshop enabling faster learning.
Price = £130 for the day, materials included (10:00am – 4:30pm)
CLICK ON IMAGE TO GET A CLOSER LOOK AT THE KIND OF JEWELLERY YOU CAN EXPECT TO MAKE