Sorry this class is full. If you want to be on the waiting list for this date please get in touch
This exciting day course explores the skills and techniques of kiln enamelling as an introduction to cloisonné on copper and silver.
For those who love colour, glass and light, this is a lovely way to explore all three! We will experiment with a range of simple decorative enamel techniques involving copper and silver wire to give you an introduction to cloisonné to create your very own one-of-a-kind unique jewellery.
We will first be fusing finely powdered enamel onto the surface of copper and later in the day we will progress to working on silver. These beautiful techniques were used by the ancient Chinese, Greeks, Celts and Egyptians to decorate metal and add colour to metal jewellery.
On this day course you will learn to:
- Prepare copper and silver for enamelling
- Make sample cloisonné pieces working with opaque and transparent enamels
- Learn how to grind, wash and prepare transparent enamels for wet laying techniques
- Use decorative inclusions (e.g. frit, glass threads, copper or silver cloisonné wire, millefiori or silver leaf)
- Cover health and safety and the kiln firing process
- Explore colour and surface design with cloisonné in mind
- Learn how to sift and wet lay enamels
- Design and create a final piece (in copper or on a simple fine silver pendant) to mount on jewellery findings by the end of the day
- A supply of silver-plated jewellery findings will be available on which to mount your sample pieces and information will be provided on suppliers of enameling equipment and jewellery findings should you decide you want to do more!
Plenty of tea and coffee and biscuits will also be provided, enameling is thirsty work!
There is a limit of 6 people per workshop enabling faster learning.
Please note: The course takes place in a working glass studio and not a classroom setting, so participants need to be able to stand to prepare enamelled pieces, and to work standing at benches. (Stools are available in between times).
Price = £130 for the day, materials included (10:00am – 4:30pm)
CLICK ON IMAGE TO GET A CLOSER LOOK AT THE KIND OF JEWELLERY YOU CAN EXPECT TO MAKE