In this new course you will design and make your own painted stained glass panel. You will be able to make larger and more complex work under the supervision of Richard with over 30 years experience.
Richard will guide you through all the traditional techniques of designing, glass cutting, glass painting and assembly of your unique stained glass panel. You will be able to take your stained glass away with you and fit it into an existing window or have it mounted into a Lightbox. The size of the stained glass window can be anything up to a maximum of 80cm x 50cm. You will have the opportunity to discuss your design idea in advance unless you prefer to adapt an existing design.
This is a unique and inspiring class, it will cover a lot of ground and give you the skills needed to continue making stained glass as a creative hobby or perhaps a new way to provide an income.
Areas covered in this course:
• Scaling up a design idea to a working pattern
• Glass cutting and diamond grinding tools
• Kiln fired glass painting technique: types of vitreous paint, mixing mediums, glass painting brushes, types of glass kiln and firing schedules
• Introduction to various leading tools, types of lead, solder and the various soldering irons
• Sealing the glass in the lead with leading cement making it weatherproof & lead polishing
• An introduction to the history of stained glass and other glass techniques used. There is also an excellent library of stained glass books in the studio. You may be interested to read a brief summary of glass making on the V&A website.
There is a maximum of 6 people in the class, tea, coffee and snacks will be provided and there are many cafes & restaurants close to the studio for lunch.
|August 7th – 11th, 2023||£820||BOOK HERE|
here are some ideas of what might be possible ….